Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My First Ransom (not really)

I was ransomed for the very first time ever last night and it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped.

My current favorite ship is the humble Merlin. I spent some time yesterday playing around with fits and came up with one I liked. I bought several of them in Jita and had my alt ferry them up to our home base in Hevrice. I had to go back and get some different powergrid mods because I made a miscalculation in how much power I needed. Once that was done, I was ready to rock. Here's my fit:

[Merlin, Merlin 1.2]
Micro K-Exhaust Core Augmentation
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
Warp Disruptor II
1MN Afterburner II
Medium Shield Extender II

Light Neutron Blaster II, Null S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Null S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Null S

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

When I go frigate roaming I have a policy of pretty much engaging any other frigate. Since I'm a noob, I don't possess the ability to instantly know what ships I should be fighting and which ones I should be giving a miss. If you're by yourself in a plex, I'll jump in and engage. This will oftentimes lead to me getting the piss kicked out of me, but everytime that happens, I learn something. Eventually, I'll learn enough to maybe not keep getting the piss kicked out of me (maybe.)

So on this particular night, I scanned a plex and saw a Condor. Now, for those of you who are experienced in such matters, you will probably look at my fit above, see the same Condor, and decide to go find something else. But, I was instituting my shoot anything policy and I jumped into the plex. I get point, I close, and he turns on his MWD, point, and sensor disruptor and begins the slow, boring process of kiting me into oblivion.

He's circling me plinking my shields with light missiles and meanwhile i'm periodically trying to either get out of his point range or get close enough to web him. As this is going on, I realize it's going to take forever for this guy to kill me and I'm wondering if he's even going to be able to kill me at all. My shields get around the 60% mark and I put in a call for some help from the corp.

Estria Del > back and forth, back and forth
Joffy Aulx-Gao > Huh?
Estria Del > i'm in ladister getting kited very slowly by a condor
Joffy Aulx-Gao > Nooooo
Joffy Aulx-Gao > You're in what?
Estria Del > merlin
Gwendolyn MacDougall > is that a long way from hev area?
Joffy Aulx-Gao > 3j
Gwendolyn MacDougall > I don't think I've gone to ladister before.
Joffy Aulx-Gao > Jov, Aescee, Ladi
Estria Del > in the small
Estria Del > fyi

So now it was a race against this guy's ability to kill my shields. Joffy and Gwendolyn were on their way. While they were doing so, I had the following conversation with the guy in local:

DIAM0ND SHARK > Zilot Deninard money or your live! =P
Estria Del > haha
Estria Del > this is exciting
DIAM0ND SHARK > so ?
Estria Del > so.... what?
DIAM0ND SHARK > do you pay ?
Estria Del > how much?
DIAM0ND SHARK > 10M
Estria Del > hmmm
Estria Del > lemme do some math here

I'm flying a Merlin worth about 15M or so and I'm also flying an empty pod. There was no way in hell I was going to pay this guy. Especially since once he got my shields to 33%, they basically stopped going down. He just wasn't doing enough damage to kill me. I started to think that he'd run out of ammo before I ran out of shields. Not long after though, Joffy and Gwendolyn showed up to chase the guy off. He was none-too-pleased with me at this point.

DIAM0ND SHARK > you have no honor! =P
Estria Del > you should've killed me faster
DIAM0ND SHARK > CHIKENS!!!
Estria Del > bock bock

Neither Joffy nor Gwendolyn were able to catch him, but we all got away safely.

***

An epilogue to this story comes this morning when I get back online when I wake up after the downtime. Another Frostie killed him a couple of times.

http://frosty.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=19397468
http://frosty.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=19397622

My non-death was avenged! Yarr!

No comments:

Post a Comment